Subject: Re: linux-next: boottime warning from todays linux-next

From: Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:51:35 -0800

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 06:46:47PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Luis,
> 
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:38:22 -0800 Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:33:36PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > 
> > > Thanks for noticing that.  I have removed the old version from my copy
> > > of mmotm today.  
> > 
> > And ... does that fix your boot?
> 
> Yes, the messages are all gone.

Fantastic, thanks for the confirmation!

OK so now a side independent curiousity remains though. Double sysctl
registration should not happen. But if someone introduces a bug by doing
that, it seems to not crash on x86. But it does cause a crash or a
kernel warning on ppc.

Why?

And I think we should just WARN_ONCE() for this case, and make the
issue clearer so that if it happens again, folks don't go scrambling
as if chickens running around with their heads cut off.

  Luis