Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the hte tree

From: Thierry Reding <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:04:45 +0200

On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 08:17:50PM -0700, Dipen Patel wrote:
> Hi Stephen, Thierry,
> 
> Before sending patches I compiled and tested with or without HTE
> config successfully, I used gcc arm64 cross compiler. The initial
> problem kernel boat reported (reproduce step snippet below) used clang
> as compiler and that gives typedef issue which is what hte_return_t
> is. Do you know if we have to treat it differently with clang vs gcc
> or did I miss something?

It's probably a good idea to do builds with clang at this point since
apparently it can catch some cases that GCC doesn't. There's some
documentation on how to do that here:

	https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/kbuild/llvm.html

The process is quite similar to using GCC and it has the advantage that
clang ships with built-in cross-compilers, so less hassle setting things
up.

> However below failure seems like (correct me if I am wrong) Thierry
> might have changed typedef to int in one place and possibly not all
> other places.

Yes, the hte_return_t failures were my fault. Turns out due to some
dependencies not being fulfilled my test builds didn't cover gpiolib
character devices, so I didn't catch those.

I've not got a couple of configurations that I can build and a short
script that will verify that all the necessary files have been built, so
that should hopefully catch such issues in the future.

I had also pushed a fixed branch yesterday and it looks like today's
linux-next built fine for HTE, so it's now included.

Thierry