Subject: Re: FVP: kernel BUG at arch/arm64/kernel/traps.c:497 - Internal error: Oops - BUG: 0

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:54:24 +0100

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 03:27:09PM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:

> FVP boot failed with linux next 20220712.

I can't reproduce this, including with your kernel binary, which
suggests that this an issue with your FVP usage and firmware.

> Boot log:
> Starting kernel ...
> 
> [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd0f0]
> [    0.000000] Linux version 5.19.0-rc6-next-20220711

How are you invoking the FVP, what firmware are you using and how is it
configured?

> [    0.500709] kernel BUG at arch/arm64/kernel/traps.c:497!

This is an undefined instruction, my first thought there would be that
you have some feature enabled for the kernel which requires enablement
at EL3 but your EL3 firmware is not configured to enable it.

> [    0.503562]  el1_undef+0x30/0x60
> [    0.503709]  el1h_64_sync_handler+0x84/0xd0
> [    0.503811]  el1h_64_sync+0x64/0x68
> [    0.503909]  net_sysctl_init+0x8/0x7c

This is where the undef came from.