Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the mfd tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 14:02:16 +0100

Hi all,

After merging the mfd tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_get':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213ed29): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_get_direction':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213eeb2): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_irq_sync_unlock':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213f266): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213f3ef): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213f472): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_irq':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x213fd27): undefined reference to `stmpe_block_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140005): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140089): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_disable':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21402dc): undefined reference to `stmpe_disable'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_set':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21404a4): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x214051e): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_direction_output':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21406a4): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_direction_input':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140805): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_request':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x214093e): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_altfunc'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_dbg_show_one':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140ac0): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140c8c): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140cb1): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140d61): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x2140f6c): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_probe':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21416b2): undefined reference to `stmpe_enable'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x214193e): undefined reference to `stmpe_disable'
make[3]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.vmlinux:91: vmlinux.unstripped] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/tmp/next/build/Makefile:1242: vmlinux] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [/tmp/next/build/Makefile:248: __sub-make] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:248: __sub-make] Error 2
Command exited with non-zero status 2

Caused by commit

   df6a44003953f ("mfd: stmpe: Allow building as module")

which needs commit

   03db20aaa3ba3 ("gpio: stmpe: Allow to compile as a module")

from the gpio tree.  I have used the version from yesterday instead.