Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the perf tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2026 16:09:44 +0000

Hi all,

After merging the perf tree, today's linux-next build (arm64 perf)
failed like this:

Exception processing /tmp/next/perf/pmu-events/arch/arm64/arm/cortex-a510/pmu.json
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/next/build/tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.py", line 1405, in ftw
    action(parents, item)
    ~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/tmp/next/build/tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.py", line 656, in preprocess_one_file
    for event in read_json_events(item.path, topic):
                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/tmp/next/build/tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.py", line 464, in read_json_events
    events = json.load(open(path), object_hook=JsonEvent)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.13/json/__init__.py", line 293, in load
    return loads(fp.read(),
        cls=cls, object_hook=object_hook,
        parse_float=parse_float, parse_int=parse_int,
        parse_constant=parse_constant, object_pairs_hook=object_pairs_hook, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.13/json/__init__.py", line 359, in loads
    return cls(**kw).decode(s)
           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.13/json/decoder.py", line 345, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.13/json/decoder.py", line 361, in raw_decode
    obj, end = self.scan_once(s, idx)
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^
  File "/tmp/next/build/tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.py", line 422, in __init__
    raise argparse.ArgumentTypeError('Cannot find arch std event:', arch_std)
argparse.ArgumentTypeError: ('Cannot find arch std event:', 'PMU_OVFS')

Caused by commit

   a66f6242fbf52 (perf vendor events arm64: Remove uncountable events)

I have used the perf tree from 20260116 instead.