Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the fbdev tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2026 23:44:06 +0000

Hi all,

After merging the fbdev tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `au1100fb_drv_remove':
au1100fb.c:(.text+0x251e220): undefined reference to `unregister_framebuffer'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: au1100fb.c:(.text+0x251e22c): undefined reference to `fb_dealloc_cmap'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `au1100fb_setup':
au1100fb.c:(.text+0x251ec0f): undefined reference to `fb_get_options'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `au1100fb_drv_probe':
au1100fb.c:(.text+0x252096f): undefined reference to `fb_alloc_cmap'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: au1100fb.c:(.text+0x2520997): undefined reference to `register_framebuffer'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: au1100fb.c:(.text+0x2520c08): undefined reference to `fb_dealloc_cmap'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `BSWAP_SHUFB_CTL':
sha1-avx2-asm.o:(.rodata+0xc38498): undefined reference to `fb_io_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: sha1-avx2-asm.o:(.rodata+0xc384a0): undefined reference to `fb_io_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: sha1-avx2-asm.o:(.rodata+0xc384d8): undefined reference to `cfb_fillrect'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: sha1-avx2-asm.o:(.rodata+0xc384e0): undefined reference to `cfb_copyarea'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: sha1-avx2-asm.o:(.rodata+0xc384e8): undefined reference to `cfb_imageblit'
make[3]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.vmlinux:72: vmlinux.unstripped] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/tmp/next/build/Makefile:1280: vmlinux] Error 2

Caused by commit

  c357150378862b (fbdev: au1100fb: Make driver compilable on non-mips platforms)

I have used the version from 20260205 instead.