Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the pci tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2026 20:41:52 +0000

Hi all,

After merging the pci tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:
In function 'intel_vga_disable':
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:68:9: error:
ignoring return value of 'vga_get_uninterruptible' declared with attribute
'warn_unused_result' [-Werror=unused-result]
   68 |         vga_get_uninterruptible(pdev, VGA_RSRC_LEGACY_IO);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:
In function 'intel_vga_reset_io_mem':
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:93:9: error:
ignoring return value of 'vga_get_uninterruptible' declared with attribute
'warn_unused_result' [-Werror=unused-result]
   93 |         vga_get_uninterruptible(pdev, VGA_RSRC_LEGACY_IO);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors make[7]:
*** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289:
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.o] Error
1 make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:
In function 'intel_vga_disable':
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:68:9: error:
ignoring return value of 'vga_get_uninterruptible' declared with attribute
'warn_unused_result' [-Werror=unused-result]
   68 |         vga_get_uninterruptible(pdev, VGA_RSRC_LEGACY_IO);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:
In function 'intel_vga_reset_io_mem':
/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c:93:9: error:
ignoring return value of 'vga_get_uninterruptible' declared with attribute
'warn_unused_result' [-Werror=unused-result]
   93 |         vga_get_uninterruptible(pdev, VGA_RSRC_LEGACY_IO);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors make[7]:
*** [/tmp/next/build/drivers/gpu/drm/xe/Makefile:207:
drivers/gpu/drm/xe/i915-display/intel_vga.o] Error 1
make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....  make[6]: ***
[/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:548: drivers/gpu/drm/i915]
Error 2 make[6]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[6]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:548:
drivers/gpu/drm/xe] Error 2 make[5]: ***

Caused by commit

  dc582b5ed4b749 (PCI/VGA: Mark vga_get() and wrappers as __must_check)

I have used the version from next-20260326 instead.