Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the vfs-brauner-fixes tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2026 12:52:33 +0100

Hi all,

After merging the vfs-brauner-fixes tree, today's linux-next build
(arm_multi_v7 defconfig) failed like this:

In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache-cache.h:17,
                 from /tmp/next/build/lib/debug_info.c:13:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/client.c:48:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included
from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/super.c:70:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/super.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/file.c:41:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/file.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/read.c:28:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/read.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/direct.c:63:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/direct.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/pagelist.c:29:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289:
fs/nfs/pagelist.o] Error 1 In file included from
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/nfs4file.c:17:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289:
fs/nfs/nfs4file.o] Error 1 In file included from
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/write.c:37:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/write.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/inode.c:50:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/inode.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/dir.c:46:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [/tmp/next/build/scripts/Makefile.build:289: fs/nfs/dir.o]
Error 1 In file included from /tmp/next/build/include/linux/fscache.h:18,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/fscache.h:15,
                 from /tmp/next/build/fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c:69:
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h: In function 'netfs_read_sizes':
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:672:16: error: 'return' with a
value, in function returning void [-Wreturn-mismatch]
  672 |         return zero_point;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/next/build/include/linux/netfs.h:659:20: note: declared here
  659 | static inline void netfs_read_sizes(const struct netfs_inode *ictx,
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caused by commit

  756f72b6d8db9 ("netfs: Fix potential for tearing in ->remote_i_size and ->zero_point")

I have used the tree from next-20260422 instead.