Subject: Re: linux-next: boot failure with next-20100603

From: Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:51:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> 
> Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0x00330000
> Faulting instruction address: 0xc0000000000a2f50
> Oops: Kernel access of bad area, sig: 11 [#1]
> NIP [c0000000000a2f50] .load_module+0x990/0x1458
> LR [c0000000000a2f18] .load_module+0x958/0x1458
> Call Trace:
> [c00000000228fc20] [c0000000000a2f18] .load_module+0x958/0x1458 (unreliable)
> [c00000000228fd90] [c0000000000a3a78] .SyS_init_module+0x60/0x244
> [c00000000228fe30] [c00000000000852c] syscall_exit+0x0/0x40
> Instruction dump:
> 7c7a1b78 7fa30040 41dd09cc 39230210 38030220 f9230218 f8030228 f9230210 
> f8030220 e9230240 38000001 e96d0040 <7c09592e> e80d01b0 f8030230 38800004 
> ---[ end trace 85cf1caaf6abfc45 ]---
> udevd-work[2749]: '/sbin/modprobe -b of:NlheaT<NULL>CIBM,lhea' unexpected exit with status 0x000b
> 
> This was followed by several other similaar OOPSes also in load_module.
> 
> I assume that this may have something to do with the module loading
> fix/cleanup that is in progress ...

That's a fairly safe assumption.

I can't read PPC oopses in my sleep the way I can do x86, and in 
particular, I can't pinpoint that to the source code by just decoding the 
instructions and matching them against what I have. Do you have that 
binary, and can you do a 'gdb vmlinux' on it, and then have gdb tell you 
where in load_module "load_module+0x990" and "load_module+0x958" are?

			Linus