Subject: Re: linux-next: suspend tree build warnings

From: Patrick Boettcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:01:44 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Andy Walls wrote:
>> Ick.  struct device should _never_ be on the stack, why would this code
>> want to do such a thing?

When you are doing a thing it does not necessarily you know that you're 
doing it.

> It appears that the state object is a dummy being used to detect and
> twiddle some identical chips on the i2c bus.  The functions called only
> use the "i2c_adapter" and "cfg" member of the dummy state object, but
> those functions want that state object as an input argument.
>
> <obvious>
> The simplest fix is dynamic allocation of the dummy state object with
> kmalloc() and then to free it before exiting the function.
> </obvious>

Even more obvious: Fix the function with simpler code to do the same 
thing.

I will try to fetch some time from somewhere to work on it.

--

Patrick 
http://www.kernellabs.com/