Subject: linux-next: Tree for Mar 23: doubled patch in vmscan.c

From: Hugh Dickins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 03:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> 
> Changes since 20120322:
> 
> The akpm tree lost lots of patches that turned up elsewhere (mostly in
> Linus' tree).

I'm amused to notice that your merging process is as impatient as akpm,
and just cannot wait for Mel to remove lumpy reclaim from mm/vmscan.c.

It has chosen to do so itself, by duplicating Konstantin's "mm: forbid
lumpy-reclaim in shrink_active_list()" (we had expected that to be held
back, but it's gone in anyway, oh well) into shrink_inactive_list(),
overriding the set_reclaim_mode() a few lines above with a spurious
reset_reclaim_mode(sc).

I expect that will sort itself out automatically once you get an update
from akpm, but something to beware of meanwhile (probably just a matter
of deleting Konstantin's patch from your trove now it's in Linus's tree).

Corrective patch below for illustration, but would need to be applied
with care: I wouldn't be surprised if it chose to do exactly the wrong
thing when applied automatically.

Hugh

--- linux-next/mm/vmscan.c.orig	2012-03-23 01:29:33.312011679 -0700
+++ linux-next/mm/vmscan.c	2012-03-23 03:00:08.688142469 -0700
@@ -1528,8 +1528,6 @@ shrink_inactive_list(unsigned long nr_to
 
 	lru_add_drain();
 
-	reset_reclaim_mode(sc);
-
 	if (!sc->may_unmap)
 		isolate_mode |= ISOLATE_UNMAPPED;
 	if (!sc->may_writepage)