Subject: Re: msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to ci_hdrc.0.ulpi

From: Alexandre Torgue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:00:33 +0100

Hi Andy

On 2/19/20 10:23 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 4:46 AM Jack Pham <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 01:38:22AM +0000, Peter Chen wrote:
>>> On 20-02-17 14:02:57, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
>>>> arm64 APQ 8016 SBC ( Dragonboard 410c)  device running Linux next boot
>>>> failed due to below error.
>>>>
>>>> [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd030]
>>>> [    0.000000] Linux version 5.6.0-rc2-next-20200217 (oe-user@oe-host)
>>>> (gcc version 7.3.0 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 17 04:27:31 UTC 2020
>>>> [    0.000000] Machine model: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. APQ 8016 SBC
>>>> <>
>>>> [    4.439291] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.448891] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.457879] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.467331] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.475636] mmc0: new HS200 MMC card at address 0001
>>>> [    4.478895] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 DS2008 7.28 GiB
>>>> [    4.480629] mmcblk0boot0: mmc0:0001 DS2008 partition 1 4.00 MiB
>>>> [    4.484719] mmcblk0boot1: mmc0:0001 DS2008 partition 2 4.00 MiB
>>>> [    4.492247] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.502611] mmcblk0rpmb: mmc0:0001 DS2008 partition 3 4.00 MiB,
>>>> chardev (234:0)
>>>> [    4.506949] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.517901] random: fast init done
>>>> [    4.521420] mmc1: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDHC card at address aaaa
>>>> [    4.523400] mmcblk1: mmc1:aaaa SL16G 14.8 GiB
>>>> [    4.532843] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.539131]  mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 p11 p12 p13 p14
>>>> [    4.542309]  mmcblk1: p1
>>>> [    4.561843] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.573481] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.585283] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.592622] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.600074] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.607204] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>> [    4.614679] msm_hsusb 78d9000.usb: failed to create device link to
>>>> ci_hdrc.0.ulpi
>>>
>>> The chipidea USB code hasn't changed recently. Would you please bisect
>>> which commit affect it?
>>
>> Probably same cause as for this:
>> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206435
> 
> Yes, it's the same. I dunno why no fix yet available.
> 

Kishon has posted a patch yesterday for device link issue in phy core. 
Please see:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/2/18/272

regards
Alex