Subject: Re: [PATCH] software node: recursively unregister child swnodes

From: Jordan Hand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 09:20:06 -0700

On 6/5/20 12:54 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Right now, the way the driver model and sysfs/kobjects work is that all
> objects must be removed in child-first order.  The problem of your
> change where you want to try to remove the devices in parent-first order
> is that you do not really know if you still have a reference to a child
> device somewhere else, which would prevent this all from happening
> correctly, right?
> 
> So if you "know" it is safe to drop a child, that's great, and expected.
> Don't work to make  this one tiny user of the kobjects (which I'm still
> not quite sure why they are kobjects and not devices), do things in a
> different way from the rest of the kernel without a strong reason to do
> so.
> 
> thanks,
> 
> greg k-h
> 

I see, thanks for taking the time to explain, the reason for the 
existing behavior is more clear to me now. I agree it is better to have 
the caller remove the nodes in the correct order rather than having the 
swnode infrastructure try to have some special behavior.

Thanks,
Jordan