Subject: [linux-next] selftests/bpf fails to build

From: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2025 17:32:51 +0530

Hello,

I am observing selftests/bpf fails to build on the next-20250508 kernel.

Errors:

  GEN 
/root/linux-next/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/tools/build/bpftool/vmlinux.h
bpf_testmod.c:494:17: error: initialization of 'ssize_t (*)(struct file 
*, struct kobject *, const struct bin_attribute *, char *, loff_t,  
size_t)' {aka 'long int (*)(struct file *, struct kobject *, const 
struct bin_attribute *, char *, long long int,  long unsigned int)'} 
from incompatible pointer type 'ssize_t (*)(struct file *, struct 
kobject *, struct bin_attribute *, char *, loff_t, size_t)' {aka 'long 
int (*)(struct file *, struct kobject *, struct bin_attribute *, char *, 
long long int,  long unsigned int)'} [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
   494 |         .read = bpf_testmod_test_read,
       |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bpf_testmod.c:494:17: note: (near initialization for 
'bin_attr_bpf_testmod_file.read')
bpf_testmod.c:495:18: error: initialization of 'ssize_t (*)(struct file 
*, struct kobject *, const struct bin_attribute *, char *, loff_t,  
size_t)' {aka 'long int (*)(struct file *, struct kobject *, const 
struct bin_attribute *, char *, long long int,  long unsigned int)'} 
from incompatible pointer type 'ssize_t (*)(struct file *, struct 
kobject *, struct bin_attribute *, char *, loff_t, size_t)' {aka 'long 
int (*)(struct file *, struct kobject *, struct bin_attribute *, char *, 
long long int,  long unsigned int)'} [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
   495 |         .write = bpf_testmod_test_write,
       |                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bpf_testmod.c:495:18: note: (near initialization for 
'bin_attr_bpf_testmod_file.write')
make[4]: *** [/root/linux-next/scripts/Makefile.build:203: 
bpf_testmod.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [/root/linux-next/Makefile:2009: .] Error 2
make[2]: *** [Makefile:248: __sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:18: all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:282: test_kmods/bpf_testmod.ko] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs...

If you happen to fix this, please add below tag.

Reported-by: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Venkat.