Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the wireless-next tree with the origin tree

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2024 09:12:58 +0200

On Wed, 2024-10-09 at 11:35 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the wireless-next tree got a conflict in:
> 
>   drivers/net/wireless/intel/ipw2x00/libipw_crypto_tkip.c

This one's weird. These can't conflict:

> between commit:
> 
>   1842442007cd ("wifi: lib80211: Constify struct lib80211_crypto_ops")
> 
> from the origin tree and commit:
> 
>   02f220b52670 ("wifi: ipw2x00/lib80211: move remaining lib80211 into libipw")

because 1842442007cd is an ancestor of 02f220b52670:

$ git merge-base 1842442007cd 02f220b52670
1842442007cd...

When I tried to redo the merge I did get a conflict in this area, but
git was showed it between comments in a deleted staging file and the now
moved lib80211/libipw code.

So I think that git just got confused because I moved a file around in
the tree, and deleted another copy of the same file in staging.

Anyway ... I need to sync with Kalle, but I think I'll pull net-next
into wireless-next and that should resolve this and the other two
conflicts.

johannes