Subject: linux-next: BeagleBone Black won't boot

From: Kalle Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2025 10:13:37 +0200

Hello,

The linux-next tree have contained a bug for a couple of days, where 
BeagleBone Black booting process jamms early.

With "earlycon" and "debug" this is where the prints stop:

[    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
[    0.000000] Linux version 6.14.0-rc6-00397-g97e8d55cc2a1 
(kale@latitude5580) (arm-none-eabi-gcc (Arm GNU Toolchain 14.2.Rel1 
(Build arm-14.52)) 14.2.1 20241119, GNU ld (Arm GNU Toolchain 14.2.Rel1 
(Build arm-14.52)) 2.43.1.20241119) 5
[    0.000000] CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc082] revision 2 (ARMv7), 
cr=10c5387d
[    0.000000] CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing 
instruction cache
[    0.000000] OF: fdt: Machine model: TI AM335x BeagleBone Black
[    0.000000] earlycon: omap8250 at MMIO 0x44e09000 (options '')
[    0.000000] printk: legacy bootconsole [omap8250] enabled
[    0.000000] Memory policy: Data cache writeback
[    0.000000] cma: Reserved 16 MiB at 0x00000000

I bisected the error from yesterdays next-20250313 and head of 
next/stable to:

042fbd055300afff395c37c6577c32c0db5d2c36
arch, mm: set high_memory in free_area_init()

The bug seems to be contained in todays linux-next tree aswell.

I hope this helps,
Kalle Niemi