Subject: Re: linux-next: question about the sound tree

From: Takashi Iwai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:51:34 +0200

Stephen,

At Thu, 17 May 2012 09:24:38 +1000,
Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> 
> Hi Takashi,
> 
> I am just curious as to why the drm tree has been merged into the sound
> tree.  This, of course, means that the drm tree has to remain stable (at
> least up to commit 218c872bf828 "Merge tag
> 'drm-intel-next-2012-05-06-merged' of
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel into drm-core-next").

This is a part of the support of the audio client for VGA-switcheroo.
Three patches to vga_switcheroo.o and its clients are needed.
Since vga_switcheroo.c was changed for 3.5, I had to rebase my works
on the recent drm branch, and Dave suggested to pick up his
drm-next-core branch (and pulled my branch to his tree, too).

The development was done in a separate branch (topic/hda-switcheroo)
in sound git tree, and yesterday I merged it to for-next branch.
If this causes a problem, I can get it out again easily.  Just let me
know.

For a branch to send to Linus, I'll re-merge (not rebase, of course)
these topic branches to make them straight, and reasons shall be
mentioned in the merge commits.

thanks,

Takashi