Subject: [PATCH v2 RESEND 0/5] wifi: mediatek: drop redundant USB device references

From: Johan Hovold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2026 10:33:30 +0200

[ This is a resend (with trimmed CC) of the five Mediatek patches which
  still haven't been picked up from [1]. ]

Driver core holds a reference to the USB interface and its parent USB
device while the interface is bound to a driver and there is no need to
take additional references unless the structures are needed after
disconnect.

Drop redundant device references to reduce cargo culting, make it easier
to spot drivers where an extra reference is needed, and reduce the risk
of memory leaks when drivers fail to release them.

Johan

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Johan Hovold (5):
  wifi: mt76: drop redundant device reference
  wifi: mt76x0u: drop redundant device reference
  wifi: mt76x2u: drop redundant device reference
  wifi: mt76: mt792xu: drop redundant device reference
  wifi: mt7601u: drop redundant device reference

 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt7615/usb.c | 3 ---
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt76x0/usb.c | 3 ---
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt76x2/usb.c | 4 ----
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt7921/usb.c | 2 --
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt7925/usb.c | 2 --
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76/mt792x_usb.c | 1 -
 drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt7601u/usb.c     | 3 ---
 7 files changed, 18 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0