Subject: Re: [PATCH] linux-firmware: update firmware for MT7921 WiFi device

From: Sven Eckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 15:59:01 +0100

On Thursday, 9 December 2021 15:13:40 CET Lorenzo Bianconi wrote:
> does it occur with an older fw?

Before this version, I've used WM Firmware Version: ____010000, Build Time: 
20211014150922. This version was not able to connect (and stay connected) to 
6GHz at all (so I've used 2.4GHz/5GHz).

But the old firmware version worked fine as station on 2.4GHz/5GHz with 
runtime-pm/deep-sleep set to 1. And I didn't see these crashes when starting/
stopping wpa_supplicant. But I've just reran it with the new firmware and
it seems like this is not 100% reproducible all the time. But when stopping 
the wpa_supplicant would leak to a crash with the new firmware then was also 
a problem to receive packets (not sure about the TX part).

I also didn't see the crash when using runtime-pm/deep-sleep == 0 and then 
setting up the mon0 interface with the old firmware.

But interestingly, i could also see these crashes when
runtime-pm/deep-sleep == 1 and then starting/stopping wpa_supplicant. Just 
didn't notice it because I've never used this configuration before.

    [   95.246429] mt7921e 0000:05:00.0: Message 00000046 (seq 8) timeout
    [   95.252734] mt7921e 0000:05:00.0: chip reset
    [   95.386747] mt7921e 0000:05:00.0: HW/SW Version: 0x8a108a10, Build 
Time: 20211014150838a
    [   95.386747] 
    [   95.407850] mt7921e 0000:05:00.0: WM Firmware Version: ____010000, 
Build Time: 20211014150922
    [   95.447509] mt7921e 0000:05:00.0: Firmware init done
    [  102.403012] wlp5s0: authenticate with 4a:13:65:00:0c:92
    [  102.524727] wlp5s0: send auth to 4a:13:65:00:0c:92 (try 1/3)
    [  102.536201] wlp5s0: authenticated
    [  102.542294] wlp5s0: associate with 4a:13:65:00:0c:92 (try 1/3)
    [  102.555600] wlp5s0: RX AssocResp from 4a:13:65:00:0c:92 (capab=0x431 
status=0 aid=2)
    [  102.582864] wlp5s0: associated
    [  102.716868] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp5s0: link becomes ready

Kind regards,
	Sven