Subject: patch to get latest XFree 4.0 snapshot (xf3918) to work on ppc with r128

From: Kevin Hendricks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:06:50 -0500

Hi,

Yesterday the last Xfree4.0 snapshot was released (xf3.9.18).  Because of all
of the hard work of Kostas integrating powerpc changes into the official xf 4.0
tree, the xf3918 snapshot almost builds out of the box and provides wonderful
Rage128 acceleration at 16bpp and 32bpp.

The only changes needed were to xfree86.cf to add the r128 module to those being
built on powerpc and a patch to lnxResource.c provided by Kostas.

Will someone who understands PCI addressing and memory-mapped io, please look at
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/lnxResource.c and help us
figure out what really needs to be done here so that xf 4.0 final will build
completely out of the box.

Anyway,  I have attached the small patch needed.

With this patch XFree86 Xserver with full rage 128 acceleration is working
nicely on my B+W G3 right now with any recent kernel 2.2.15 kernel (ie. one
that includes Anthony's latest aty128fb.c kernel video driver).

Thanks Kostas and Anthony for your great work!

If anyone is interested, after some more testing, I will create a binary that
can be installed over XFree 3.3.X.  Just let me know if interested.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks
Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario  N6A-3K7  CANADA
[email-masked], (519) 661-3874, fax: 519-661-3959