Subject: Re: forcing pci device start address ?

From: "Neil Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:21:08 +0100

>Ok, I see the horrible mess they put you in.  Those !@$!# hardware
>guys. :-/

>Here's the basic layout:  you can use pci_auto like the other 7xx/74xx
>embedded ports and constrain the I/O and Mem range so as to not conflict
>with the PCI-wannabe devices your hardware guys spit out.  You are
>writing custom drivers so you just depart from the Linux standard of
>ioremaping or in*/out*ing resources and use your hardcoded addresses.

>You could complicate things by manually adding the devices to the
>PCI global list and creating resources but there is no value in that
>for a custom design like this...you could boast about it to your
>fellow engineers if you like though. :)

Thanks for your help, I will start looking at this when I get in tomorrow.

Do you happen to know of a driver example in one of the kernel trees or
elsewhere that implements this hardcoded address business that I can learn
from ?

Thanks.

Neil

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/