Subject: RE: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)

From: "dong in kang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:26:55 -0400

It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support MMU,
which means address translation is not supported.
I have to buy BDI for GDB.

 About your question, I downloaded the zImage.initrd at 0x800000.
I didn't turn on the default command line. Now I turn on the default command
line as
 CONFIG_CMDLINE="mem=128M ramdisk_size=20480 console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
root=/dev/ram init=/bin/sh"
The Sandpoint X3 has 128M ram and my ramdisk size is 20M.
It should be right, isn't it?

 Dong-In

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark A.
Greer
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 2:15 PM
To: dong in kang
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)

dong in kang wrote:

> As a debugging tool, I'm using Metrowerks Codewarrior v.6.0 running on
>Windows 2000 platform. The BDI2000 for Codewarrior is connected to the
>JTAG port of the Sandpoint X3.
>I used the Codewarrior to load the linux kernel to the SDRAM of the
>Sandpoint X3.
>Of course, I used GCC to compile Montavista Linux kernel.
>(I heard that BDIgdb is the best tool for Linux kernel debugging.
>I'm considering purchasing BDIgdb.
>
Okay, that helps...I think.  I still don't know what "BDI2000 for
codewarrior" means/is but anyway...

For right now, I recommend just using the telnet interface to the bdi. Its
simple and works.  You can download the zImage thru that interface (and
tftp).  The bdi manual has a page with all the cmds on it.  Also, while
using the telnet interface, use only hard breakpoints (which means you can
only have one set at a time).

> Currently, I have a problem of enabling
>mmu.
>After the initial boot part of the Linux finishes setting up BATs and
>enables the mmu, the address translation is not done properly. So, when
>the kernel jumps to 0xC0000000, it jumps to physical address
>0xC0000000. It crashes there. I suspect BDI2000 with Codewarrior does
>not support mmu.
>
>
You shouldn't be having problems like that.  Are you sure you used a valid
.config when you built the kernel?  What address did you download the zImage
to?  Did you try building/running the non-initrd image (zImage.sandpoint)?

Mark

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/