Subject: PPC linux v2.6.11 network configuration hangs

From: "Pari Subramaniam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:14:50 -0700

Hi,

We have 8540 based board running PPC port ver-2.4.30-pre1. when I tried to
upgrade to ver-2.6.11, the network interface loops (enabled TSEC alone)
indefinitely in the gfar_probe() at the following while loop:

        /* Stop the DMA engine now, in case it was running before */
        /* (The firmware could have used it, and left it running). */
        /* To do this, we write Graceful Receive Stop and Graceful */
        /* Transmit Stop, and then wait until the corresponding bits */
        /* in IEVENT indicate the stops have completed. */

        tempval = gfar_read(&priv->regs->dmactrl);
        tempval &= ~(DMACTRL_GRS | DMACTRL_GTS);
        gfar_write(&priv->regs->dmactrl, tempval);

        tempval = gfar_read(&priv->regs->dmactrl);
        tempval |= (DMACTRL_GRS | DMACTRL_GTS);
        gfar_write(&priv->regs->dmactrl, tempval);
/*---------------------------------stays in this loop for
ever--------------------------------*/
        while (!(gfar_read(&priv->regs->ievent) & (IEVENT_GRSC | IEVENT_GTSC)))
                cpu_relax();
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------*/

MPC8540 based system running boot loader U-Boot version-1.1.2. The TSEC port is
tested from the boot loader. The same behavior observed in all the boards.

I appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks in advance

regards
-pari