Subject: Re: Issue with small struct return values

From: "Kevin B. Hendricks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 21:44:41 -0500

Hi,

Forgive my stupidity here.  Exactly what are you referring to as the
extension / new feature.  Do developers need to propse an extension to keep
the status quo or does Andy/you/IBM need to propose something to get the
change in.

> 	What ever is proposed will not be included in GCC 3.0 because that
> release has been frozen with respect to new features.

Please don't get me wrong.  I am not against the change.  I would like access
to as much ppc based commercial software as possible (it would be nice if IBM
released their JDK for PPC Linux with your nice JIT) and put me out of
business.  Apple will never release the Hotspot source to PPC Linux (I have
asked) and I hate re-inventing the wheel (and I can't read x86 assembler to
boot! so porting Hotspot will be a long term project for me at best).

I just want to understand the process of making this change to make sure we
don't create more hardship (financial and otherwise) for the few ppc linux
distributions out there as it is.  I think the timing of the change would be
important for YellowDogLinux, LinuxPPC, Debian, and SuSE (forgive me if I
left anyone out) to have a say in.

Kevin

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/