Subject: Re: Trivial cleanup in ocp_uart.c

From: Kenneth Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 2002 18:52:37 +0200

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:23, Scott Anderson wrote:
>
> David Gibson wrote:
> > Eek, wibble.  It still seems somewhat unlikely to me that you'd be
> > changing the peripherals "on the fly" in a real life embedded
> > application.  Especially considering that reboots are likely to be
> > much less of an issue on an embedded system than on a big server.

> I guess I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss this as unlikely, but
> I must admit, my crystal ball is in the shop this week.  It sure would
> be nice to keep such things in mind as OCP is evolving, though.

As someone who actually work with FPGA chips I can assure everyone that
those are always to small even when you pick one that seems insanely
large when you start. I have many times been in a situation when is
could work quite well to have mutually exclusive subsystem but what has
stopped that before is that the chips/software usually do not support
partial reconfiguration and you usually can't reconfigure the whole part
without disturbing normal functions.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
Borgafjordsgatan 9                Fax: +46 8 404 72 72
164 80 Stockholm                  [email-masked]

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/