Subject: Re: linuxppc-2.5 (rsync mvista) -- drivers/input/evdev.c:243: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Aug 2003 13:31:24 +0200

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 13:23, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Miles Lane writes:
> >
> >   CC      drivers/input/evdev.o
> > drivers/input/evdev.c: In function `evdev_ioctl':
> > drivers/input/evdev.c:243: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement
> > drivers/input/evdev.c:243: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement
> > drivers/input/evdev.c:243: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement
> > drivers/input/evdev.c:243: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement
>
> These errors are a consequence of the change I made to make get_user
> work on 64-bit quantities.  I can't actually see a way to have
> get_user work when it's used the way it is here and also work on
> 64-bit quantities, without giving spurious warnings when used on
> pointers.
>
> Who was it that wanted 64-bit get_user?  I think we are going to have
> to make a separate get_user64().

No Paul, it's not your fault, if you look closely at evdev, that code
can't really work properly anyway.

I talked to Vojtech at OLS and he'll be fixing that to always pass
either an u32 or an int to userspace.

Ben.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/