Subject: Re: ibook G4 Status Report

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:18:44 +1100

>
> I've noticed this problem. the only way to get XFree working properly,
> is
> to use the UseFBDev directive into XF86Config. Unfortunately, this
> directive
> seems to get in troubles with dualhead XF86Config (i've used the one
> that i'm
> using in my desktop, equipped with a Rage128): the panels are waiting
> for
> something with a black screen. If it's usefull, i'm using an XFree
> 4.3.0 binary
> merged with gentoo/ppc.

Ok, you need to use XFree without UseFBDev. This cause some flicker on
your LCD, and then run the enclosed hack which should fix the flicker. Let
me know if that helps. XFree without UseFBDev will also screw up switching
back to console unfortunately, I have a hack for that (remove all the vgaXXX
calls in XFree) locally.

I expect to have full support of dual head in radeonfb not too far from
now, though there will be some work needed for XFree to be able to "use"
it... I hope that work could easily be included in Michel's packages at
least :)

Note that if the enclosed lcd_hack.c doesn't work, try adding that line
to it at the end:

OUTPLL(3,0xc);

Let me know.

Ben.