Subject: Intrinsyc CerfCube 405EP and 2.6 - lots of questions.

From: Aubin LaBrosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:51:33 -0400

Hi everyone,

I was recently given an Intrinsyc Cerfcube 405EP as a spare-time thing
to play with by my boss - it's just an area i'm very interested in,
fresh out of college  this is really my first foray into embedded
programming, and even into working with ppc.  the cerfcube ships with a
version of 2.4.21 and uses ppcboot/uboot to boot - i decided i wanted to
see if i could get 2.6 on it - i created a cross-compiling toolchain (i
only have x86 host systems) and i compiled a 2.6 kernel i thought might
boot but i'm not really sure - someone who kindly replied to my post on
lkml said the config didn't look right (i've attached it to this mail).
I guess when i get to the point i have a few basic questions (feel free
to flame on if i just haven't done the right reading...)

has anyone managed to get a 2.6 kernel running on these things?
is the config for the kernel i built anywhere near correct?  does the
405EP option in the ppc kernel config apply here?

and secondly,

how does the ppcboot/uboot (are those even the same thing?) process
work? what do i need to do to actually tell the device to load a new
kernel image? uboot is already running 2.4 on this thing so presumably i
just have to setup tftp on the host system and tell uboot to load a new
image into the flash, right?  but that requires addresses of flash
memory if i'm not mistaken, which i do not know offhand - i realize that
these are a lot of newbie questions that embedded kernel hackers
probably don't have time to answer, but i would appreciate any advice
that can be given.

thank you all for your time

-aubin