Subject: Re: Pegasos 2 support patch ...

From: Adrian Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:05:01 +0100

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 19:52, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 05:39:35PM +0100, Adrian Cox wrote:
> > The problem is that the via686 ide is hardwired to irqs 14 and 15 of the
> > i8259 interrupt controller internally, but the kernel believes that only
> > IDE controllers at the legacy address can have separate irqs for each
> > channel.
>
> Is this the case for each via ide controller ? If so why does it work on
> x86 ?

Because on x86 the BIOS places the IDE controller at the legacy
addresses (0x1f0, 0x170), and then setup-pci.c spots that the via ide
controller is also the legacy IDE controller, and thus uses the legacy
irq numbers 14 and 15.

What I'm looking for is a tidy way of achieving the same result on a
platform where the boot firmware did not put the via ide controller at
the legacy addresses.

- Adrian Cox
Humboldt Solutions Ltd.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/