Subject: Re: CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:04:44 +0100

Tom Rini <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's not a "dummy" VGA console, it's a "dummy" console.  IIRC, this is
> selected with CONFIG_VT (or is it CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE?).  IIRC, the real
> problem is that when you have dummy console, it steals the console even
> if you would have had console on some sort of serial port.
>
> The bottom line is that if you don't have some sort of video device,
> just disable CONFIG_VT.
>

Thanks. Finally your clue guided me to the problem. All those configs
(CONFIG_VT, CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE, CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE, etc) defaults to Y
when CONFIG_EMBEDDED is not set. I was working with this option unset
(accidentally), so this was the problem.

Alex

P.S. CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE is selected only if CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE is
not set. That's why I had called it "dummy vga console". sorry about
the confusion.