Subject: Re: [PATCH] Updated: CPM2 I2C (SDMA and BitBang)

From: Jason McMullan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:17:24 -0500

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 20:11 -0800, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> Jason, another thought. Do we really need all this mess with separate 
> algo and bus drivers?
> 
> Could you make just a bus driver like we have for 4xx, Keywest and 
> 85xx/52xx/MPC107? It's much cleaner and less confusing IMHO.

I made it separate algo/bus in case you had a PCI-card 85xx design
where:

	a) You booted the card with firmware
	b) The firmware made the card a PCI device with the CPM exposed
	   before you booted the kernel.
        c) The PCI host had to program an EEPROM on the CPM I2C bus
           for configuration to tell it where to get the kernel.

Admittedly, a little far out, but then you could make a
CPM-exposed-by-PCI I2C bus driver.

-- 
Jason McMullan <[email-masked]>
TimeSys Corporation