Subject: Re: 2.6.13 ati (ibook) frambuffer problem

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:58:25 +1000

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 14:38 +0200, Joerg Dorchain wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> after upgrading to a vanilla 2.6.13 kernel (from 2.6.12) there seems to
> be a problem with the framebuffer driver I use for my ibook. The display
> statz at the opnpic message, and after a while the machine reboot (looks
> like panic().
> 
> Can someone confirm? Or better, point me to a patch ;-)?
> 
> For given reason, what is the common method to debug crashes before the
> display is working?

This looks like a bug that was introduced by linus in 2.6.13 and that I
_think_ should be fixed in the stable series, so if you get 2.6.13.x (x
= latest stable release) it should work.

Usually, to debug those crashes, I'm adding a hack to kernel/printk.c to
call btext_drawstring() (with some test to make sure to do that not too
early, typically only after setup_arch has been called).

Ben.