Subject: Re: Unable to open an initial console

From: Nigel Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:23:08 +1000

Hi.

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 06:01, Addison Baldwin wrote:
> I was sucessful to port U-Boot to our 8272 board. Now I'm experiencing
> a problem:
> 
> Our Kernel hangs with the message that says it was trasnferring
> control to linux. A post morten analyzes indicated that it stopped at
> "Unable to open an initial console" in the memory sapce where console
> output should be out (in the sdram, like I had found somewhere in this
> list, how to do it).
> 
> I have checked the bootargs values, it is ok:
> bootargs root=/dev/ram console=ttyS0,115200
> 
>  We also checked our "/dev" and there was a link to console, pointing
> ttyS0. Also, ttyS0 was there too.

Are you using an initrd or initramfs? If so, the device node needs to
exist on that filesystem. This message will only occur if the kernel is
unable to open /dev/console for rw access.

Hope this helps.

Nigel