Subject: Re: Feedback: Support for fn key on Apple PowerBooks

From: Frank Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:30:33 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 18.01.2006, 12:20 +0100 schrieb Michael Hanselmann:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:27:43AM +0100, Frank Arnold wrote:
> > I have some trouble with it. Actually, the mapping of function keys F1
> > to F10 seems to be inverse. I have to press fn + function key to get a
> > plain function key event. Pressing a function key only gives me those
> > fancy new keycodes for brightness, mute, and so on. Page up, Page down,
> > Home, and End are working like expected.
> 
> Mac OS X behaviour (default):
> echo 1 > /sys/modules/usbhid/parameters/pb_fnmode

Thank you, now I've got it.

I never really used Mac OS X and didn't know about this behavior.
Personally I would prefer fkeysfirst as default setting. It's much more
sane on Linux because function keys are frequently used in different
applications. I nearly break my fingers when trying to get to the GNOME
main menu with fkeyslast.

Anyway, perhaps I'm biased. I can live with both, now that I know where
to set it.

Frank