Subject: Re: 'make ARCH=ppc defconfig' failing for cross-compile

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:12:01 +1000

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:48 -0700, Judith Lebzelter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:21:46AM -0700, Christian wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Judith Lebzelter wrote:
> > > I have been doing cross-compiles for ppc and powerpc on my i686 system.
> > > In order to do this I generate the .config file like this:
> > >
> > > make ARCH=ppc defconfig
> > > (or make ARCH=powerpc defconfig)
> > 
> > Seems like defconfig has been removed, because there are so many 
> > sub-platforms for ppc:
> 
> I build these in OSDL's cross compile build farm (PLM) as a code check.
> Our scripts are generalized to work for various architectures, so it is
> disappointing that 'defconfig' no longer works for ppc the way it does 
> in other achitectures.  Are there plans to make plain 'defconfig' work 
> again, at least in the new 'powerpc' directory?  (The 'ppc64_defconfig' 
> target looks good to me.:)

Perhaps you need to rework the scripts to cope for the fact that there
are different platforms under the architecture? There will never be a
defconfig for powerpc that builds all the code for all platforms, so to
get full test coverage you'll need to build more than one config anyway.

cheers

-- 
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person