Subject: Re: How to move from /ppc/ to /powerpc/

From: Matthew McClintock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:59:23 -0500

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 19:41 +0200, Fredrik Roubert wrote:

> Now I'm back to the state of last Thursday (except for getting rid of
> the unnecessary chosen node and getting bootargs passed nicely), which
> means that the serial console initially works, but stops working after
> the call to console_init() in start_kernel().

Do you have all the other OF related defines in your u-boot config
file? 

#define OF_CPU                  "PowerPC,8540@0"
#define OF_SOC                  "soc8540@e0000000"
#define OF_TBCLK                (bd->bi_busfreq / 8)
#define OF_STDOUT_PATH          "/soc8540@e0000000/serial@4500"

Maybe you are not properly setting up entries in the flat device tree
passed to the kernel. So when the kernel takes over and re-initializes
the serial port the speed is all messed up.

Can you verify the flat device tree passed to the kernel is correct?
Specifically these properties:

                timebase-frequency = <0>;       // from bootloader
                bus-frequency = <0>;            // from bootloader
                clock-frequency = <0>;          // from bootloader

-Matthew