Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/11] Add MPC8360EMDS board support

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:26:34 +1000

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 23:21 -0700, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:36:59AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Ugh ? Look at the #ifdef mess in ibm_emac...
> 
> Ugh?
> 
> I think you have to thank IBM/AMCC designers which keep changing bit 
> layout of some registers, sometimes just changing polarity for no 
> reason.
> 
> And with all due respect, Ben. Current ibm_emac despite of all "mess" 
> is actually usable in production environment, which cannot be said 
> about initial Armin version and second version you started but never 
> got time to actually finish.

That second version was working fine... on the limited available
variations of EMAC back then.

Regarding the "mess", it's the whole #ifdef junk in there that is
driving me nuts and that I'll rip appart probably next week. A lot of
this could be soft-tests or the ifdefs could be resolved at Kconfig
instead of having a list of processors in 3 different headers if you
really want to compile the changes in rather than do soft-tests.

Ben.