Subject: Re: Recently removed io accessors

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:04:21 +1000

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 17:44 +0200, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Commit 661f1cdb8b3e3c2c44e97df122c1d5643c054ce8 ([POWERPC] remove
> unused asm routines) removed the _insl / _outsl routines for 32bit
> copies with byteswap.
> 
> I've been working on adding ppc support to drivers/net/smc911x.c, and
> I was unfortunately using those routines (The ethernet controller can
> be configured for big endian mode, but the contents of the internal
> packet buffers is still little endian, so you need to byteswap in the
> tx/rx routines).
> 
> Any chance of getting them back or should I implement a (slower) loop
> myself before submitting the patch?

Well, a "packet buffer" should have no endian. When streaming in our out
a fifo, you basically stream bytes that happen to come out 2 at a time.
So unless somebody wired the hardware backward, you should do no
swapping when using the fifo.

Ben.