Subject: Re: glibc-2.5 test suite hangs/crashes the machine

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:22:11 +1100

> So I need to delay __ASSUME_SET_ROBUST_LIST to 2.6.18 for __powerpc__ ?

The problem is not so much the headers you build with than the runtime
checks... I suppose you shouldn't bother as we are trickling down the
fixes to distros & stable series anyway.

> What about __ASSUME_FUTEX_LOCK_PI ?

I don't know, I'm very unfamiliar with that futex stuff. I need to look
more closely.

> >  - kernel 2.6.18 and current git until yesterday (fix got in today) has
> > a bug if you manage to pass a wrong futex with a non-aligned atomic
> > value, it will possibly oops the kernel. With the fix, it will return an
> > error.
> >
> > Now what seems to be a glibc issue:
> >
> >  - I've had the tst-robustpi# tests (in fact the very first one, I
> > haven't tested the others) die on me with a SIGBUS caused by glibc
> > trying to do a lwarx/starx. on an odd address.
> >
> Rayn reminded me of a bug where the new robust code did not account for the
> fact that the TID was not at the same place as i386. I think Ryan has a
> patch.

Ah ok. Can you give me the details as soon as you get them ? (In
addition to submitting the fix upstream of course :) ubuntu at least is
starting to build their next distro on top of glibc-2.5 so it would be
nice if they had the fix asap.

Thanks for looking at this !

Cheers,
Ben.