Subject: Modules Problem on ML403

From: alayrac christophe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:50:22 +0100

Hi,

We succeed to port linux2-4.26 on ML403 board with Montavista RFS on CF
or NFS.

Problems arise when we try to use modules.
We have include gpio modules in the kernel and build follow

make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-405-linux-gnu- dep uImage
make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-405-linux-gnu- modules
the modules_install fail during depmod process because it no supports
cross compiling

I've then think to use the Klingauf scripts (make_modules_install.sh,
depmod.pl) but I was afraid that the command 
make modules_install copy modules in the host lib/modules directory.

SO I manually proceed as follow from the kernel root :
make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-405-linux-gnu- modules_install
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/alayrac/

and then 
./depmod.pl -k ./vmlinux -F ./System.map -b /home/alayrac/lib/modules -n
> /home/alayrac/lib/modules/2.4.26/modules.dep 

Modules seems to be created properly but after board and linux start up
I receive the following error message:

insmod xilinx_gpio
Using /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio/xilinx_gpio.o
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio/xilinx_gpio.o:
couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

modprobe xilinx_gpio
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio/xilinx_gpio.o:
couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled
r/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio/xilinx_gpio.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpid/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/xilinx_gpio.o: insmod
xilinx_gpio failed

Further more the date of files in /lib/modules/2.4.26 are to a very hold
date during the boot process. Thus the modules.conf is declared as more
recent than modules.dep.

Any help would be appreciated .

Kinds regards

Chris