Subject: Re: Perl

From: Lee Revell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:20:35 -0500

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 18:08 +0100, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > I've been trying to cross compile Perl for a PPC440 board and it just
> > isn't happening.  Perl is probably the least amenable application to
> > cross compiling I've found.
> > 
> > I tried the instructions in the Cross/ directory of the Perl distro but
> > they don't work - "sh Configure" fails on my target because it expects a
> > full C development environment, which won't fit.
> > 
> > Is there any easy solution?  Can someone send me a binary?
> 
> Configure and make perl natively on your target platform. I have done it 
> some time ago with the ELDK.
> 

I've almost got the cross compile method described in INSTALL to work
(using SSH to the target).  But it just hangs forever at "Checking how
to flush all pending stdio output...".  Argh.

Compiling natively on the target is not an option, the perl build
process has too many dependencies.  It depends on stuff fron GNU
coreutils like /bin/comm that is not available in busybox.

Does no one out there have a binary they are willing to send me?

Lee