Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Fixed compiled issue tu to new of_platform.h header

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 08:19:05 +1100

> I haven't been following this very closely.  The problem is that you have 
> a system with two different kinds of OHCI controllers, thus requiring two 
> different and incompatible versions of the driver?

Sort-of. Basically, PowerPC can (and must in some case) build a single
kernel image that can be booted on a variety of platforms. There are at
least 3 platforms coming in now (this Efika is one of them) where that
includes a non-PCI OHCI or EHCI (big endian even) while the same kernel
must also contain the normal PCI OHCI/EHCI driver.

It's generally not a problem as the endian thingy is a runtime bit, and
in general, the whole code allows for this just fine, with, afaik, the
exception of the multiple module_init() bits...

> If the only source of incompatibility is the module_init() and 
> module_exit() routines, then your suggestion would be a simple fix.  
> Ugly, yes, but I don't think anyone will really mind.
> 
> Is there anything else to prevent you from combining multiple HCIs into a
> single driver?

Not that I know. But we could have a cleaner approach. The #include one
dates a bit... we could have for example an ohci-core.ko with the core
bits, and ochi-pci.ko, ohci-patform.ko etc... be separate modules linked
on the first and instanciating it.

I'll have a look and will come up with either solution.

Ben.