Subject: Re: powerpc.git build error

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:16:04 +1100

> Hold your horses, I'm just a simple user without too much
> understanding of the hardware trying to get most out of his PowerBook
> G3 Lombard (with broken L2 cache: 33bogomips) which I got a week ago :)

What makes you think it has a broken L2 cache ? The 33 bogomips are
totally unrelated, it's the timebase frequency. Bogomips are NOT a
benchmark and on the powerpc architecture, and not even related to the
processor speed at all (but to the frequency of the timebase input).

> It seems suspend-to-ram is working to some extend, or at least
> 'should' work out-of-the-box. When I close the lid and reopen it, it
> resumes 'a little': PCMCIA cards seem to power up again (TX/RX WiFi
> led starts to flash again), but the screen stays dark. I haven't tried
> to debug this yet, since getting WiFi to work

Does it work better without the PCMCIA card ? Is it properly going to
sleep (snoozing LED) ? Also make sure you are using the proper video
driver (atyfb on the lombard) and not booting with "novideo" or
"video=ofonly".

> Furthermore I'm not interested in kexec if 'all is working'. But since
> 'rebooting' already hangs after the powerdown, I'm more focused on
> getting the normal 'reboot' working.

That is the strange thing... does it reboot fine in MacOS ?

> Since you're using more esotoric hardware, I'm afraid it will be quite
> difficult without getting your hands very dirty.

Ben.