Subject: Re: [PATCH] Probe Efika platform before CHRP.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 08:37:43 +1100

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 21:29 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 06:58 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > OK, let's drop the patch and assume the device-tree will be fixed
> > > shortly. 
> > 
> > No, keep the patch for now. I'm afraid they aren't willing to fix their
> > device-tree.
> 
> They need to fix their firmware anyway, because it's screwed in other
> ways too -- they have an off-by-one error in their handling of partition
> numbers, so when yaboot tries to read a partition table it actually gets
> the first sector of the first partition, and it all goes downhill from
> there. That one was even _fixed_ in the Pegasos firmware last year, but
> it's come back in Efika -- and we _can't_ work around it in the kernel.
> 
> For Fedora, we're just going to wait for the fixed firmware; we can't
> sensibly support it as-is.

Ok. Well, Nicolas Det have unfortunately repeately said "we won't fix
the firmware" so it's bloody annoying but if you can apply that sort of
pressure on from a distro, that's good.

I've been very annoyed from the beginning with the refusal to discuss
the content of the device-tree publically before it was too late, the
firmware "in production" and "not fixable" (Nicolas words).

Ben.