Subject: Re: [PATCHSET] libata: PATA driver for Celleb

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:43:35 +1100

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 21:56 +0000, Alan wrote:
> > I fear that the hardest part is yet to come, when we integrate the
> > driver for the the PS3 (currently called gelic_net) into spidernet.
> > The trouble is that the hardware is sufficiently similar to share
> > all the high-level mechanisms like the DMA data structures and
> > descriptor chains, but the low-level mechanisms are hidden in the
> > hypervisor on the PS3. Someone will have to invest a significant
> > amount of time coordinating this so we don't break celleb and qs20
> > in the process.
> 
> That to me implies they should be different drivers using a common
> libata-something file. The PPC mac drivers likewise are currently mashed
> into one in drivers/ide but really want splitting for libata with some
> kind of libata-pmac owning the shared stuff

Also note that for spidernet vs. gelic, I'm actually very tempted to
keep them as separate drivers.

Ben.