Subject: Re: Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough

From: john stultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:27:47 -0800

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 19:00 -0500, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:59 +0000, Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
> > 
> >     Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough
>
> This seems to be what's triggering the apparent memory corruption we've
> been seeing recently -- in the case of the Fedora kernel it manifests
> itself as a BUG() in cache_alloc_refill() when the pmac ide driver
> initialises.
> 
> Another report was at http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/17/4
> 
> We've been seeing it on a Mac Mini too, and I managed to reproduce it on
> my shinybook this evening by booting with 'mem=512M'.

Just for reference (as its not in the thread linked above), this issue
disappeared for me after some config changes (I somehow changed my
selection when I backtracked and then moved forward w/ git bisect).

I've not been able to reproduce it since, but I know others (BCC'ed on
this note) have seen it and might prod them to come forth with details
(and broken .config files)

thanks
-john