Subject: ML403 and PPC4xx_DMA ?

From: Joachim Förster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:06:26 +0200

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the PowerPC 405 Core on the Xilinx ML403
board and DMA . The Linux kernel has an option called CONFIG_PPC4xx_DMA.
Do all/some PowerPC 4xx Cores have an integrated DMA Controller? I tried
to find some documentation about this DMA Controller in several Xilinx
and IBM manuals which cover the PowerPC 405 Core - but I didn't find
anything.
So, my question is: Does the Virtex-4 FX12 PowerPC 405 Core on the ML403
have such DMA Controller? If yes, is it usable within Linux to transfer
data from RAM to a device's hardware buffers (typical task of a DMA
controller)?

Thanks,
 Joachim

PS: I tried to compile a kernel image with CONFIG_PPC4xx_DMA enabled,
but gcc complains about missing definitions in ppc4xx_dma.c ... e.g.
DCRN_DMASR (defined in ibm405.h). Well I guess I have to have
DCRN_MASR_BASE defined in xparameters_ml403.h .... but defined to what?