Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] Float the pci bus number on MPC8641HPCN board.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:41:21 +1000

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:35 +0100, Matt Sealey wrote:
> Re enabling proper domain support on 32-bit... now, now, now please!
> 
> X guys won't merge in code, we've been punished by both sides on Pegasos
> for nearly 12 months now after there's been a bunch of misguided attempts
> to 'fix' domain support in X. 

Well, I have commit rights on X git :-) But the current X code is too
hopeless to warrant anything but a quick hack which I don't want to do.

> The real fix is in the kernel to make it
> very clear that domains and proper, per-domain bus numbering (not
> global bus numbering) and suchlike is the standard like it is on SPARC
> and PPC64 and IA64.

Well... if the real fix means suddenly nobody can use X ...  I'm sorry
but I won't inflict that one the remaining lots of 32 bits PowerMac (and
Pegasos) users. Not until there is a fixed X available. Once Ian's work
on pci-rework X.org branch is finally merged with the trunk then life
will be better for everybody.

> If ppc32 suddenly goes the way of these, X guys will fix it, there will
> be patches to work against this kernel, even if they have to detect the
> kernel version to do it or look at a procfs or sysfs entry to fix up
> their dumb pci scanning code.

X guys would probably expect me to fix it yeah :-)

> I don't think stalling on it "because of X" is right. Fix Linux, X will
> follow, because it really has to.

Ugh ... I don't think so.

Cheers,
Ben.