Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] Add uli1575 pci-bridge sector to MPC8641HPCN dts file.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:16:42 +1000

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 22:00 +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> 
> Feel free to ask for advice on IRC, on the list, or
> elsewhere _before_ sending a patch.

Bah, sending a patch is good too, don't be too hard there. I for one
prefer the approach of sending a patch first.

> > Second, perhaps there is lingering legacy
> > crap in some of the early DTS files that should be systematically
> > cleaned up.
> 
> Yes there is.  Maybe one day I'll get to it, I'm hoping
> someone else will fix this though ;-)

We probably need to improve the documentation in fact. Maybe with a step
by step HOWTO create your device-tree with examples for typical things
like PCI etc.. and the rational of why for each of these, we chose to do
XXX instead of YYY...

> The official (and unofficial) Open Firmware docs are quite
> good.  Perhaps we need a big huge fat sign in the DTS docs
> pointing to them.

They aren't -that- good when you come out of the blue and don't know
where to start. I think a tutorial based on building a tree for an
example board step by step would be best.

Ben.