Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] Float the pci bus number on MPC8641HPCN board.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:24:54 +1000

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 14:00 -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 18:28, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:58 -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> > > 
> > > So looking at the code it looks like pci_assign_all_buses should  
> > > handle numbering the busses properly when we scan the busses, so  
> > > what's the issue that causes that not to be correct? 
> > 
> > Yeah, that's what powermac uses... Any reason it wouldn't work ?
> > 
> > Ben.
> 
> Empirical testing says it doesn't work.

You may also need to tweak pcibios_assign_bus_offset to bump it to a
higher value. There are issues when renumbering bus numbers when during
the probe, a bus is renumbered to the same number as a not-yet probed
bridge on the same segment.

That is fixed on powermac by adding an artificial "offset" of 16 between
bus numbers of different domains via this offset variable.

Ben.